Virus FIX Information
Here are some "Do it yourself" instructions!
Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations. McAfee updates it on an ongoing basis. Please visit this site to download and use it. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) Problems
We have received a large number of requests to fix computers for students who have gotten viruses through AOL Instant Messenger. You can find some information about these viruses and some do-it-yourself help to remove them here:
We have a fix that you can drag to your desktop and run that will get rid of the virus. Here are the directions:
* Go to the Software Server (see directions below)
* Open the "Other Software" folder
* Look for the file named "FixWelch.exe"
* Drag it to your desktop
* Double click on it to run it
Directions to the Software Server:
If you are on a WindowsXP system and are located on the Wheaton College network you can easily connect to the site-licensed area of the software server by following these steps.
* Select "Start" then "Run" from your desktop.
* In the "Run" menu enter "\\sftserv\software$" then select "OK".
* A window should appear for you to browse through and select the application you need.
More Virus fixes and Microsoft updates